Heading into its 7th year, this week will mark this year’s Campaign for Wool UK Wool Week to celebrate everything woolly with a range of events around the capital!
So what is Wool Week?
Wool Week UK is an annual event organised by The Campaign for Wool. The Campaign for Wool was launched in 2010 by its patron His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, with the aim to raise awareness amongst consumers about the unique properties and benefits of the wonderful natural material that is wool.
By encouraging collaboration between an international community of woolgrowers, fashion designers, artisans, manufacturers, retailers and interior designers, the Campaign has been instrumental in educating consumers about the versatility of wool and its myriad of uses: from luxurious merino knitwear and clothing to beautiful and functional interior products, to fire-retardant insulation for the home.
Why choose wool?
Wool has a lot of properties that make it a great material for use in both fashion and interiors: firstly wool, being a protein fibre formed in the skin of sheep, is a 100% natural material, and as well as being a natural material wool is also sustainable and biodegradable, making it the perfect eco-friendly material to use. Wool is also naturally hard-wearing, a natural insulator for both heat and acoustics, resilient and elastic, naturally flame-retardant and stain-resistant thanks to its high water and nitrogen content, hypoallergenic and anti-static as well as having a naturally higher level of UV protection that other synthetic materials.
Interesting fact: did you know that the fibres of wool are comparatively stronger than steel? No we didn’t either, but isn’t that amazing?! A wool fibre can be bent 20,000 times without breaking and still have the power to recover – the superman of the material world!
And as if all those practical properties weren’t enough, aesthetically wool with is softness and adaptability make it a great material to interact with. So all in all, we would say wool is definitely worth the investment!
The Campaign for Wool and Wool BnB
To mark the Wool Week celebrations this year the The Campaign for Wool have created a ‘Wool BnB’ where everything inside, from the carpets to lighting will be made of completely of wool!
Located in De Beauvoir Town, London, the Wool BnB was designed and curated by leading interiors stylist, Karina Garrick, to showcase the benefits and versatility of wool and wool based products as well as holding a number of specially hosted events and activities to promote the wonders of wool.
Aveva Design, one of the brands we represent here at homeArama, was one of the brand partners who loaned products to be featured in the Wool BnB to showcase how wool can be used within interiors and home accessories.
The great thing about wool is due to its versatility it can be used for almost any type of interior and works well in any room, as you can see from the images below taken from the Wool BnB and featuring Aveva Design products. To read more about the Wool BnB and the wool items featured in each room click here.
Aveva Design is a Swedish interior design company that designs colourful and functional objects, with the aim of ‘colouring up your life!’. Focusing on sustainable ideas and materials, Aveva challenges traditional and natural materials and stretches the possibilities of use through the combination of hard and soft materials in interior design. They have taken handfelted wool and reinvented it in the home accessories arena, sustaining old traditions whilst creating new exciting objects perfect for use in daily life. Wool can bring a softness and warmth to an interior but by adding wood into the mix Aveva bring out a more sophisticated side to wool with a range of design conscious home accessories and interiors. The combination and contrasts of wood and wool is a key part of their trademark. Aveva choose all their materials consciously and carefully to ensure sustainability for the environment.
Take a look below to see our favourite wool product picks from the Aveva collection!
- Aveva Set of 2 Wool WOW Shelf Brackets in Turquoise, £43 – add some colour to your wall with these high quality merino wool shelf brackets, available in a range of colours
- Aveva Medium WOW Wool Hanger in Pistachio, £13 – these stylish hangers make a great addition to any wall! Arrange them in any way and colour you like or combine the two different sizes, small and medium, to create your own unique colourful wall display!
- Aveva Small WOW Wool Hanger in Pink, £10 – these stylish hangers make a great addition to any wall! Arrange them in any way and colour you like or combine the two different sizes, small and medium, to create your own unique colourful wall display!
- Aveva Medium Wool Flower Pot in Petrol, £22 – place them by the window, on the floor or hang them in the air (with the Aveva Flower Pot Hanger), in either groups or singularly, the Aveva wool flower pots will bring a breath of fresh air whenever they are placed. Available in three colours: grey, lime and petrol.
- Aveva Large Handfelted Wool Basket in Dark Grey with Blue Handles, £79 – these wool baskets make for a modern, simple and colourful storage solution for anywhere in your home. The large size is great for storing the kid’s toys in or alternatively it makes a great laundry basket!
- Aveva Round Wool Trivet in Green Multi, £25 – bring colour to your table with these soft, stain and heat resistant wool trivets!
- Aveva Round Wool Bubble Trivet in Bubbleneon, £25 – bring colour to your table with these soft, stain and heat resistant wool trivets!
- Aveva Rectangular Wool Trivet in Grey Dip, £28 – add a splash of colour to your table with these soft, stain and heat resistant wool trivets!
- Aveva WOW Wool Stool in Forest, £259 – designed by Aud Julie Befring, this ‘cool with wool’ stool from Aveva is a fun and unique way of adding a pop of colour into your home, plus it doesn’t hurt that the stools are super comfy too!
If all those amazing natural properties of wool weren’t enough to sell you then Aveva’s unique and stunning designs definitely will, check out their complete collection on our website. So what are you waiting for, colour up your life with Aveva!
Thanks for reading 🙂